If you’re lucky, a partnership that begins with lust can eventually grow into love. With time and effort, It could even flourish into pure love.
Very few people know what pure love is. But for one who is intrigued by people failing to differentiate between love and lust, it would definitely be desirous to know about pure love so that he/she can gradually learn to scale his love to this level of purity.
Lust, love, and pure love
Lust, love and pure love – each of the three is intense and thus incredibly powerful. Nevertheless, the three are completely different too, for none match the other in any way. While lust is only physical attraction, love is a deep feeling of strong affection, and in pure love, there’s sheer bliss and compassion.
In the initial phase of a relationship, generally, lust predominates. As a result, one always sees, feels and thinks the other person to be the best and flawless. Whatever you aspire in your partner, you find it there. In lust, one sees their love partner according to their imagination, and quite often it’s far from reality. In this attraction, the quest is mostly for a physical relationship.
As this attraction deepens further into a strong emotion and moves beyond the physical appearance and imagination, it transcends into love. More than the partner’s outer beauty, it is inner beauty that becomes prime now, and their genuine feelings and happiness are what begins to matter. One appreciates their partner for the real person that they are and begins to love that person along with their flaws and weaknesses. The relationship in this stage is much more matured, secured, genuine and reliable. And the bond between the two is quite intimate and strong as it is based on commitment, friendship, truth, and respect for each other.
In the initial stage of meeting someone, it is extremely easy to confuse lust and love — and on occasion, impossible to tell them apart. But there is a vast difference between the two:
- Lust is a short-term phase while love is long term outcome.
- Lust is totally focused on a person’s physical appearance and little else. Love is based on loving one as a person.
- Lust is selfish whereas in love there is care for each other.
- Lust is based on physical chemistry and appearance. Love is an emotional connection between two people.
- In lust, since you are connected at the physical level, the moment the feeling of physical attraction subsides, the relationship dissolves. Through love, one gives more to maintain the relationship; there is a shared understanding, compromise, and trust for each other.
- Lust is based on satisfying each other’s physical requirements. Love is based on satisfying each other’s feelings, goals and the purpose of the relationship.
- Lust is where emotions temporarily surge. Love creates a long term bond which is healthy and strong.
- In lust, ‘l’ is utilized. In love words such as ‘ours’, ‘we’, ‘us’ prevail.
- Over time lust hurts while love unites.
- Relationships purely built on lust will eventually end because it is a temporary sexual fix. Through love, one commits to much more.
So, if you follow your heart and try to be clear of what you are hoping to gain from each other in the relationship, you will not fail in differentiating between lust and love. Once you have secured the love in your life, it is time to scale your relationship to an altogether different level, the highest of its kind, which is the stage of real love.
Real love manifests when you begin to see the Soul within your soulmate. Real love is unconditional — i.e. one where there are no expectations or any pre-conditions. When real love manifests, you cease to see faults of your partner and hence rule out conflicts, arguments, and unhappiness from your life; because when you love the Soul, you are able to love your partner unconditionally, equally and constantly.